What? You have terrible cramps and don’t want to make it to the gym? You’d rather sit with a bowl of chips covered in melted chocolate? Here’s why you want to make it to the gym!
Working out during your period helps to:
- Reduce the pain of cramps by releasing feel-good endorphins! These are the body’s natural painkillers. FYI: This happens EVERY time you work out.
- Reduce bloating and fatigue by ridding your body of excess water weight. Hello skinny jeans!
- Improve and stabilize your mood. Less moodswings, and descreased PMS symptoms for next month.
Some excercises that won’t drain you during “curse week”:
- Stretching — moderate stretches can help to loosen your abdominal muscles and relieve your cramps. Plus, you should always stretch before a workout!
- Moderate walking — try walking slowly and gradually speed up throughout the duration. Walking helps to target your legs and lower abs as well as burn total body fat by reaching your THRZ.
- Arms, back, and chest lifts/weights — if your abs are really tender because of cramps focus on your upper body. Working your back, arms, and chest still burns calories and tones you up.
I used to skip the gym when I had my period because I was embarrassed or just didn’t feel well. Now that I’ve gotten used to regular workouts, my cramps are more manageable and I feel great. Just go easy on your body and listen to your body throughout your workout.